POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix) : Re: POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 May 2005 03:15:02
Message: <d5f596$2sl$1@chho.imagico.de>
Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Well. The one advantage having something closer to a library than a
> stdin/stdout system has is being able to easily drop it into another
> application. You don't need to know as much about how and why it works to
> use a library. At worst you might need a wrapper for the language you
> plan to use. Stdin and Stdout aren't as universal as they should be,

I don't see any concrete example.  Note currently communication of
POV-Ray via stdin and stdout is essentially one-way - the only input it
recognizes is to pause after the render when pause is on and wait for a
keypress.  But this can be changed of course.

> if
> they where people wouldn't have developed DCOM, Corba or other
> implementations for a different method of linking stuff together.

In a lot of cases these techniques are simply abused, often simply to
obfuscate the communication (so 3rd parties have difficulties to develop
replacements for one side of the communication, often made waterproof by
using patented techniques in the communication).  But again a concrete
example would be necessary.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______